After almost two months of crazy deadlines, I was eager to knit something at a relaxed pace. Since my birthday was coming up, I thought I ought to make myself something. I chose this design, because I thought it might go well with my dresses. While working on the cardigan and trying it on at various points, I worried that it would be too short and too wide. But once I finally tried it on with an actual dress, I’m happy with how it looks, even if I think it’s still a bit too wide.
This is my first sweater I’ve made for myself since 2005! My previous two attempts looked terrible on me (wrong color, too bulky a fabric, etc), so I’m really pleased with the results, even if they’re not perfect. The armsyces are quite tight, and the armhole shaping didn’t fit correctly, even though my gauge was spot-on. I’d recommend going up a size in the sleeves, to see if that helps, or recalculating the sleeve cap shaping to fit better. My modifications were minor, such as shortening the body by half an inch, since I’m short-waisted, or knitting the neck-and-button-band all in one piece for minimal finishing. I didn’t want the sleeves cuffs to irritate the insides of my elbows, so I shortened them by an inch, which worked out wonderfully. There are a couple of goofs, the first of which was that I accidentally added eight buttonholes when I only needed seven! Luckily, I had bought plenty of buttons. (And you can’t really tell in the photos, but I used purple thread to sew the buttons for a fun and personal touch.) When picking up stitches for the buttonband, I goofed on the ratio of stitches per rows that I needed, and ended up with too many stitches. Once I had sewn on the buttons and tried it on, the edges ruffled terribly. The idea of cutting off the buttons I’d just sewed on was loathsome, so I put this project in a short time-out (which is why I didn’t finish in time for my birthday). Instead of undoing the whole band, I tinked only two rows, and inserted k3togs directly above each buttonhole to see if it would work. As you can see, this sneaky fix was fairly successful. I still have lots to learn about knitting sweaters for myself, but I’ve made happy progress, and am definitely more confident and eager for the next time. :)
Pattern: â€śHexacomb Cardiganâ€ť by Katie Himmelberg, Interweave Knits, Spring 2008 Size: 38.5â€ł Yarn: Bristol Yarns Somerset, color 101 (light green), 6 skeins Needles: Takumi Clover US 4 (3.5 mm) and Velvet US 5 (3.75 mm) circulars Started: June 7, 2009 Completed: June 27, 2009 (Ravel this project!)