Chunk Love

(Don’t forget about the Blogging Tips contest; it closes tomorrow midnight, so be sure to add your comment soon. There are some great tips in the comments, too!)

No, I’m not talking about Chunky candy bars or Chunk from The Goonies. I decided to join the Chunkster Challenge (via KnitThink)and the TBR (To Be Read) Challenge this year.

Because I’m combining the two challenges, this means I qualify for the “Too Big to Ignore Anymore” category, which is quite descriptive in my case. My TBR shelf is full of fat books. I love the idea of a big book  because a good, long story is usually contained therein. But I do not often partake, because they can be hard to carry around or are too heavy for bedtime reading.

ADDED April 8Update #1

I’m planning to start with a warm-up by re-reading Christopher Paolini’s Eragon. Because it would be a re-read, it doesn’t qualify, but I wanted to refresh my memory before continuing on with Eldest and Brisingr1.

Next on my agenda is Neal Stephenson’s Baroque trilogy, which includes Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World.

And how about two more chunkies? The Sunne in Splendour (Sharon Kay Penman) and The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) are two books where I started reading the first chapter and then put them away after a few (3-5) pages because I was too distracted at the time.

That makes 7 chunky books, more than plenty2! For the last 5 options from my TBR shelf, I’m picking The Accusers (Lindsey Davis), The Big Over Easy (Jasper Fforde), War for the Oaks (Emma Bull), The Abhorsen trilogy: Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen (Garth Nix), and The Memory Keeper’s Daughter (Kim Edwards).

Whew. I’m gonna need to keep up my arm strength this year and read at a good pace! Wish me luck! :)

1. All the above books, with the exception of Brisingr, have been on my TBR shelf at least 2 years, minimum. Time to read them!

2. But a couple of alternate/backup choices would be: The Pickwick Papers and Anna Karenina

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Chunk Love”

January 12th, 2009 at 10:30 am

And chunky books don’t fit into my ReadUpon for bedtime reading. :( (Or anytime, really.)

I could NOT get into the Baroque Trilogy. I loved Cryptonomicon and previous works, but oy, now I’m afraid to pick up his new stuff.

2. Sarah R Says:
    January 12th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I thin the Baroque Cycle moves beyound chunky and into monolithic. Those are some big books.

And I’m with Chris…I loved Cryptonomininomoconicom but the Baroque Cycle books are still sitting on my shelves, unread and glowering at me.

January 12th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been eyeing up a couple of Edward Rutherfurd books London and Sarum which pao has been reading – they are very chunky indeed!

4. Amy Says:
    January 12th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Go! Go! Go!

5. opal Says:
    January 12th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

those all sound like great books! thanks for blogging about them!

6. Eryka Jackson Says:
    January 12th, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Wow… knitting AND reading big books! What will they think of next. BTW, what counts as a chunk book – Bon Fires of the Vanities? or something of tha magnitude? or could I read Clive Barker’s Imajica, which has quite a high page count?

7. KnittySue Says:
    January 14th, 2009 at 4:11 am

I looove chunky books and will look into that Trilogy…as for knitting ..there are always needles full at my place. Enjoy your blog and I’ll be back to visit often.

8. mary lou Says:
    January 16th, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I am not much of a joiner but have been eyeing the chunkster challenge, then a friend left Pillars of the Earth – 973 pages – on my desk at work. A sign from the universe?

9. Unsay Moon Says:
    March 16th, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Try Stephen King’s The Stand for maximum chunkiness (that is, of course, until somebody out-chunks me…which is likely to occur).