Have you seen my sock mojo?

I mostly made my holiday knitting deadline. Except for two pairs of socks. I just couldn’t get motivated to work on them. I started one, and the cuff was way too bag, and I felt the weight of the dreaded sock curse creeping upon me.

I feel I can’t start any new projects until I get these deadlines completed. The lack of motivation is starting to affect me in other ways: I see so many gorgeous patterns on Ravelry that I would like to make but I can’t choose one pattern or even a yarn.

For instance, I got this lovely handspun yarn (by Kasha’s Knits) for Christmas. It’s approximately 180 yards, which should be plenty for a smallish project, like a hat or mittens. The yarn is DK to light-worsted weight, and while I found a few possibilities, nothing has really seized me as a “must knit with this yarn” type of project.

wensleydalepg.jpg

I also got these cool books from my parents along with some magazines.

cmas2008books.jpg

I’m very tempted to start one of the socks in the Knit 1 Below book for myself. Should I be a Selfish Knitter for a week or so before re-attempting the gift socks?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Have you seen my sock mojo?”

December 29th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Yes! Gift knitting can crush you sometimes.

December 29th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

My sock knitting mojo has been gone since June. If you find yours, see if mine is around somewhere.

3. kmkat Says:
    December 29th, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Of course you should! Knitting should be fun, remember? If it isn’t, you aren’t doing it right. Knit what makes you happy — it will probably only be a day or three before you are back on track and ready to re-attack what you think you should be knitting.

I’m one heck of an enabler, aren’t I?

4. Carol E. Says:
    December 29th, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Hi! I had forgotten your web address, so I was very happy when you left a comment at my blog! I get quilting mental-blocks now and then, too. It helps just to take a break when you need to. If it’s not fun, don’t do it! It’ll call you back soon enough. Creativity can’t be forced. Great to hear from you again – thanks!

December 30th, 2008 at 8:23 am

Give yourself a break… a gift should not be knit without some love in it and you can’t do that if you’re not into it.

6. Katie Says:
    December 30th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Set it aside till your “mojo” is back. I always have numerous mistakes and gauge issues when I’m not in the mood!

7. opal Says:
    January 1st, 2009 at 2:25 am

you’ve most likely have already decided, but i say go for it and be selfish!

January 1st, 2009 at 6:48 pm

In my experience, the mojo tends to hang out at Starbucks. I’d check there.