a guy, his ox, and a bed

Many people are familiar with the Paul Bunyan legend. As a Minnesota native, it has been one of my favorites.

Paul and Babe

In this picture above, I love the view of Lake Bemidji beyond. Most postcards for these statues avoid the lake view and use the trees to reinforce the lumberjack in the woods theme. Also, I wonder how much yarn we would need to knit sweaters for Paul and Babe.

I have an exclusive, never-seen-before picture of Paul Bunyan’s bed for you all. Yes, really!

bed

Ha, gotcha! This is actually a very fun and creative use of an old bed frame as a raised flower garden. It’s tucked in the area behind my Grandma’s apartment building. My guess is that it was installed to soften the view of the cemetery on the other side of the fence.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “a guy, his ox, and a bed”

August 31st, 2007 at 7:13 am

Love that picture with the bed frame! Talk about functional art!

2. Amy Says:
    August 31st, 2007 at 9:03 am

But have you seen Paul Bunyan’s grave in Kelliher?

August 31st, 2007 at 9:19 am

That IS a really clever flower bed!

4. Lisa Says:
    August 31st, 2007 at 10:05 am

We have a similar flower bed near our house. It makes me smile every time I go by.

August 31st, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Knit for Paul and Babe? Are you crazy woman??? That would be the worst case of SSS every!

6. beth Says:
    August 31st, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Okay, this is going to be a little gross, but have you seen Marnie MacLean’s picture of Babe?
    http://www.marniemaclean.com/w....._co_1.html Apparently someone in California felt that Babe needed to be anatomically correct to be a proper statue. Sorry, seeing that giant statue made me think of it….I’m way immature.

August 31st, 2007 at 4:05 pm

I’ve been to Bemidji! And saw Paul and Babe where they stand there…but I missed the bed of flowers. There are a couple of people around here who have made flower ‘beds’-but they put the head and footboard right into the ground. I think a long row of them might make an interesting fence, but just plopped in the middle of the lawn? I dunno, not doing much for me (but then I have purple steps…). Our new highschool is supposed to get a bronze of a ram, and I’ve been wondering if it’ll be anatomically correct-I sure hope so, though it will be raised on a platform, and whoever sits on the bench below will get an eyeful…as it should be I think!

8. Carrie K Says:
    August 31st, 2007 at 9:03 pm

That bed is way too small for the two of them.

Ummm…..LOTS of yarn. (sweater)

The lake sets them off really well! Don’t the other photographers realize that lumberjacks used rivers to move the hewn trees?

9. bellamoden Says:
    August 31st, 2007 at 9:05 pm

People…. do the weirdest things!

But woman, why would you knit for them?!?

10. Renee Says:
    September 1st, 2007 at 12:33 pm

OK, next time I’m complaining that it’s not fair the tiny little women only need half as much yarn as I need for a sweater, I’ll put it in perspective and be glad that I’m not as big as Paul Bunyan! :-)

September 2nd, 2007 at 7:30 pm

That is kind of cool flower bed. It’s a good way to recycle too. Ah… just noticed that your comment said “make a stitch” Very cute.

12. Deb Says:
    September 2nd, 2007 at 10:29 pm

The PB museum is crazy- everything is large, but not relative to one another…

September 3rd, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Paul scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a little tyke.

14. Vicki Says:
    June 17th, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been going to Bemidji every summer since I was two years old, and there really used to be a bed for Paul Bunyan near Morell’s. Was made of logs and we kids would climb all over it. Wish I could find a pic of it to share with my daughters.