Jurassic Cities

Local residents and visitors will no doubt have noticed strange sights here in the Cities this summer. How did dinosaurs, long since extinct, come to be parading the streets of St. Paul and Minneapolis?

The answer: Diggin’ Dinos was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Science Museum of Minnesota! 60 dinosaur statues were decorated and then displayed all summer long. After Labor Day, they will be auctioned.

I was able to capture a few on camera, mostly at the State Fair. You’ll notice signs on some of them, usually with “No climbing, or my mom’ll stop on you.” Heh.

Click any thumbnail below to embiggen or for a manual slideshow. Or, if you like, a complete list is available at the Diggin’ Dinos website. Have fun! : )

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Jurassic Cities”

August 30th, 2007 at 8:30 am

Wow, I haven’t seen any of them yet! I’ll keep an eye out at the fair.

2. Deb Says:
    August 30th, 2007 at 8:43 am

I pass by one each morning/evening (Wabasha Caves) with a disturbing amount of clevage on her evening wear… :)

The dino in front of my building is covered in 3-leaf clovers, with one 4. I’ve never found it, and have given up. (Of course, I’m usually rushing to work or home!)

August 30th, 2007 at 9:08 am

I love them! Now that would be an interesting piece of decor. I’m interested to see how much money they raise. They need a yarnisaurus.

August 30th, 2007 at 11:01 am

I saw a hawaiian shirt dino when I was at the Fair – but he was the only one.

August 30th, 2007 at 11:50 am

Cool. I will keep my eye out for these dinos at the fair.

6. Renee Says:
    August 30th, 2007 at 1:59 pm

They must be gathering them all up for transport to whereever the auction is, because I saw a whole bunch of them lined up on the curb in front of the Science Museum this morning. It was quite impressive!

August 30th, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Cute! I love it when cities have these kinds of displays.

8. Bob Says:
    August 30th, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Yep, they’re lining them up on Wabasha, and will be auctioning them off to any interested takers on September 9th. http://www.diggindinos.com if you’re interested.