Spiralling Surprise

I haven’t been a good blogger/commentator lately; I really appreciate all your comments on my recent posts. I haven’t had time to write up any posts for a while because Grandma was here visiting. Less computer time also means more knitting!

Quick Ravelry aside: Casey has just added an “image slurper” which is being tested now by some users. It takes the URL of a picture and resizes/crops it for use on Ravelry; the pictures show up with a ©[User] caption. I’m so excited for this option because I generally host my pictures here instead of Flickr or Picasa. Ravelry is also getting new servers this week; after the switch (and related testing), they plan to speed up the invites. Good news for those still on the waiting list!

I didn’t even blog about these socks when they were wee socks in progress because they went so quickly! One part of it was the straightforward pattern, the other part of it was the sportweight yarn I used.

Socks

Due to the thickness of the yarn, I downsized to 60 stitches for each sock. Overall, this worked just fine, though the heel ribs weren’t symmetrical. I also skipped the plain cuff because I wanted the swirls to start immediately.

Ribby Heel

A neat thing about the swirling rib pattern is that it’s reversible. You could work this pattern for wearing inside-out on purpose with just one or two adjustments. I’ve always wanted to try wearing socks with a “princess sole” (or “purl-side-out”). However, these aren’t for me, but will be gifted later this year.

Inside-out

These colors? Oy, I have mixed feelings about them. Orange with green is probably one of my least favorite combinations, but they are loved by the future recipient. As I knit, these colors brought to mind colorful autumn leaves on the ground (which is good), or moldy pumpkins (not good). This colorway is named for the Italian city of Florence (Firenze). I’ve never been there; is it a good match?

Pattern: “Spiralling Socks” by Anni Design, August 2007 exclusive pattern for Sockamania Club Knitalong Size: Women’s Medium Yarn: Lane Cervinia Calzetteria, 902 Florence Needles: US 2 (2.75 mm) and US 1.5 (2.5 mm) DPNs Started: August 3, 2007 Completed: August 9, 2007

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Spiralling Surprise”

August 20th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

I’m not an orange/green type person either, but I really like the way that yarn knit up – I like the little blocks of color. I’m sure the person who is getting them will love them.

August 20th, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Ditto Jeanne but those socks are pretty!

3. Frarochvia Says:
    August 20th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Orange really is my least favorite color but your socks sure are cool looking. I like!

August 20th, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Hey, I think they turned out great – even though that really isn’t a color combo that would usually appeal to me.

Oh, thanks for the info about Ravelry – that’s what I was waiting for! Do you know if it’s available to all users right now, or just a few???

August 20th, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Well, that orange is just burnt/bright enough to carry that green (in my humble opinion…) Never thought of “inside-outing” them.

August 20th, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Orange is not of my favorites, but I like the way it looks with that green!

August 20th, 2007 at 4:25 pm

I guess I’m in the minority when I say that I like orange and those colors together remind me of fall, my fav time of the year. There is no accounting for (my) taste, I guess. Hee. Very nice socks!

8. Connie Says:
    August 20th, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Your spirals turned out great! Mine are finished but haven’t had time to post them yet. I am still working on the Serpentines…

August 21st, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Somehow orange and green wouldn’t make me think of Florence, but that could be just me. It reminds me of pumpkins still on the vine. Is it fall yet!? I love fall, I am not a summer person.

10. rina Says:
    August 22nd, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Your spiral socks look great! orange has sort of become my favorite color, but that color combinations look fine to me.

11. schrodinger Says:
    August 22nd, 2007 at 8:42 pm

The orange/green combo wouldn’t be by first choice, but who doesn’t love the swirl?