May Day

How’s this for a triple? These socks qualify for Sockamania, SAM3, and the Rockin’ Sock Club! They were a fairly quick knit. But I will admit that the Mp* was tough on my left hand.

I used the Walking on the Wild Tide colorway in BMFA’s new Silkie Socks that Rock (April RSC shipment). I love how this yarn feels “cool” as opposed to wool’s “warm.” It’s not as sproingy as regular STR, but it knits well and wasn’t splitty.

Personally, this colorway is a bit too dark for the pattern, I think a solid or semi-solid will work much better. Both the spirals on the sock legs and the stripes on the instep turned out well. However, in certain lights, the neutral colors (which appear gray or taupe here) merged in ways that didn’t appeal to me—mostly it reminded me of squid or zombie flesh… yuck.

maydaydone.jpg

I started with the M/L size and used smaller needles for a slightly tighter gauge for the cuff section. In the middle of the third repeat, I decreased 4 stitches, and then at the last row of this same repeat, I decreased another 3 more. This gave me the number of stitches (plus 1) for the S size. I left that extra stitch because I wanted to continue the ribs down the instep. (Another way to accomplish this would be to shift one stitch around from the sole section.)

maydayrscu.jpg

The ribbed cuff is only three rows; I wanted the highly defined edge that results from the chevron shaping. It does curl a little bit, garter stitch might have been better. Instead of using the standard gusset decrease (K2tog and SSK), I used P2tog.¤ It’s a nice complement to the rib columns.

maydayinstepcu.jpg

Here’s a peek at the wrong side of this pattern, which fascinated me. I almost prefer the striping in reverse stockinette over the stockinette. What do you think?

maydaywscu.jpg

Pattern: “May Day Socks” by Anniken Allis Size: Women’s medium Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Silkie Socks that Rock, Walking on the Wild Tide  Needles: Various brands and lengths, US 1 (2.25mm) and 1.5 (2.5mm) DPNs Started: May 2, 2007 Completed: May 11, 2007

*see Vogue Knitting “Make one: version B,” third picture (page 39) or Montse Stanley’s Knitter’s Handbook, “Strand Increase,” purl instructions (page 111).

¤(round starts at mid-heel) K to last 2 sole stitches, P2tog, work instep pattern, P2tog, and knit to end of round.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “May Day”

1. Connie Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 8:08 am

I love your socks. What a great way to kill 3 birds with 1 stone! Your modifications fit really well with the pattern.

May 29th, 2007 at 8:43 am

Gorgeous! I love the closeups of that colorway, but… zombie flesh. Ewwwwwwwww. I am SO not getting my May Days done, alas.

3. Frarochvia Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 8:46 am

Gorgeous! And you conquered the pattern!

4. Dave Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 9:00 am

I think that’s the best use of that yarn that I’ve seen. Very cool pattern. I’m getting the willies, though, thinking about the zombie flesh crawling up your legs, or your feet stepping into some nice gooey squid. ;-)

May 29th, 2007 at 9:48 am

Just gorgeous! And, I agree, I like that reverse side better.

May 29th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Gorgeous socks and I just love your photos. I also like the reverse stockinette over the stockinette. It just has more zest.

7. Mia Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Your Mayday socks prove the yarn makes a huge difference. I am not liking the yarn I chose. I will have to try the socks again with another yarn. And I like your picot edging instead of the ribbing.

8. Lori Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I do love those socks! I haven’t figured out what to knit with my Silkie yet, but I wasn’t thrilled with the grasshopper pattern. I think the pattern you chose works much better.

May 30th, 2007 at 8:03 am

Zombie flesh? Hmmm, well yes, I can see it. They do look very cool though and when the world is being taken over by zombies, put those babies on and perhaps you will be the Zombie Queen.

May 31st, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Oooookay, zombie flesh? Now I won’t get that image out of my head…

11. Christy Says:
    May 31st, 2007 at 3:50 pm

I’m finally planning on starting mine tonight. I’m a little slow! lol

but seeing yours (which look great, though I can see potential for weird color-blending) and everyone else’s has helped me pick the stash yarn I’ll use on mine.

I see what you mean about the reverse side – it does look quite nice

June 1st, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Those are gorgeous socks!!

13. Knitting Bandit Says:
    June 8th, 2007 at 9:01 am

Zombie Flesh? Ewww… Cool socks. Knit in 9 days! Impressive. I do like the reverse side better too, although I normally prefer the stockinette. Cool pattern, thanks for the link. I’m going to click it now.