Hat of Gold

Skeins Her Way is having a contest, check it out! You could win a copy of her Fitted Tank pattern and some lovely organic cotton yarn. Go to her contest post for the prize and entry details.

Here are my knitting goals for this summer:

• Yarn diet all summer long. I did this last year and was very glad with my accomplishment. I have been buying way too much yarn lately, and most of it is sock-related. It makes me a bit sad to forget what I have in stash, so I want to stash-focus for a while. The good news is that I’ve already purchased some yarn for the two current swaps I’m in (Sockapalooooza and Hogwarts Socks), so that’s out of the way. The bad news is that I may visit new-to-me yarn shops on the way up north later this summer. If I can’t resist the siren call of yarn during this trip, my plan is to buy only (a small quantity of) yarns that I haven’t knitted already or do not have in stash.
  • Continue with the sock-gift-knitting; I’ve only completed one pair so far this year. This probably won’t happen until I finish the two swaps.
  • Knit one of the two big Christmas gifts planned. (I’ve already started swatching, whee!)
  • Enter several items in the MN State Fair.
  • Catch up with and maintain my Stash Tracker; I’ve fallen behind!

That should be plenty to keep me busy!

Remember these Maroon and Gold socks I knit last month? I had plenty of leftovers and decided to knit a hat. I’m late blogging about it because I couldn’t get any decent pictures. I really should borrow Mom’s camera tripod sometime, or buy a display head. (Could one find something like that (not the glass variety) at a thrift store? Anyone know?)

I used the Seaman’s Cap pattern again, but in a size large. I also forgot which size needles I used last time (why didn’t I check, d’oh!) and used a US 6 and 7.

mghaty.jpg

Since the ribbed cuff section dominates the hat, I decided to implement trapped bars in the plain section. There was not much maroon left, so I weighed the yarn frequently to see how thick I could make the bars without running out of yarn. It turned out that I had enough for 4 rows each, but that seemed too thick, so I went with 3.

mghat.jpg

This time around, I followed the K1P2 ribbing correctly, but somehow used the wrong side of my cast-on. This turned out nicely, because it matches the plain round used to form the cuff fold.

Pattern: “Seaman’s Cap” by Brenda Zuk, Needle Beetle Size: Large Yarn: Colorado Yarns Knitaly, 80g Goldenrod and ~10g Maroon Needles: Susan Bates Quicksilver US 6 circulars and Lion Brand US 7 DPNs Started: April 18, 2007 Completed: April 19, 2007

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Hat of Gold”

May 17th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Hmmm….I know EXACTLY where to buy a display head, but I don’t remember the name. It’s on Hennepin not far from where I work. No help, I know.

May 17th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Goals?! We are supposed to have summer knitting goals?!?…..WE don’t need no stinking goals. Anyway, here’s to hoping you accomplish all yours. Diggin’ the hat by the way.

May 17th, 2007 at 1:15 pm

Go Gophers! :) Um, beauty supply places usually have display heads… but where was I recently that had them in black or white? Hmm…

May 17th, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Go gophers!

May 17th, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Yarn Diet? Ack! Good luck and I’m hoping you’ll inspire me to do the same. But let’s not hold our breaths.

May 17th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for the tip-off about the contest. I’ll have to do a little thinking before I post my list… usually my summer knitting languishes without any kind of attention, never mind goals. Then in September, even though it’s still hot in DC, I realise “Oh crap! I only have three months to get all my Christmas knitting done!” (which is why I started early this year).

May 17th, 2007 at 2:17 pm

You’re a very brave woman! I’m floundering a bit on the yarn diet…..

I will have to look out for your entries at the MN state fair cos I’m going to be there – yaaay!!!

8. deb Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Do the goals really help? Maybe I should try that. If nothing else, it would fill one more day in my post-a-day in the month of May blog-a-thon.

9. Yarn Thing Says:
    May 17th, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Okay, I didn’t know that putting yourself on a yarn diet was allowed for the summer goals! LOL

Good luck with everything and I can’t wait to see how it all turns out for you!

Marly knitthing.blogspot.com knitthing.mypodcast.com yarnthing.blogspot.com

10. rina Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Yarn diet?? I gain weight due to certain projects I want to knit. Ha ha…

11. Lisa Says:
    May 18th, 2007 at 2:56 pm

I’m tagging you for the Random Facts meme!

12. ali Says:
    May 29th, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Great goals! Thanks for playing! Happy knitting- ali

13. Monica Says:
    August 5th, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Yarn Diet?! Good luck! I wish I had the strength to do that… haha. :) Can’t wait to see the FOs.