Hogwarts, we have a problem

This is Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in Bee Stripe from a kit. Actually, there are a couple problems with it…

mismatched dyelots

The two skeins are different dyelots! It’s a bit hard to tell from the picture; the yellow on the right is slightly lighter. I don’t think it’ll be noticeable knit up into socks and worn on separate feet.

However, I’m more worried about the fact that the two skeins had different circumferences. This problem became apparent when I put them on my swift for winding. One sat high on the swift, while the other went almost all the way to the bottom. This is also present in the way the yarn colors patterned in the two different balls. I even rewound the balls several times, in different directions, just in case. Will the pooling or striping differ significantly? Nothing left to do but knit and see.

Note to self: check dyelots when purchasing a kit with more than 1 skein of the same color. Sigh.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Hogwarts, we have a problem”

1. Dave Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 7:59 am

From a kit? Yikes, you’d think they’d check when they packaged them up together. Best of luck!

2. Susan Bones Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 8:04 am

Do you think you could contact them about this? I’m sure they would want to know and make good on it. Well, that might slow your progress, though. So, you have a Puff to knit for then. Interesting….

3. trek Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 8:06 am

I would be contacting the shop that put together the kit – no excuse for sending two different dye lots in a kit.

May 4th, 2007 at 8:14 am

Seriously? I’d be a little bit the disgruntled consumer…

5. Miss T Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 8:19 am

There’s no excuse for that in a kit–the difference is pretty obvious. Shame on whoever put it together!

6. Renee Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 8:24 am

Gosh, you assume when you buy a kit that they’ve already checked the dyelots for you. I think I’d see if they’ll replace it for you. Good luck!

7. Meg Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 8:55 am

What?! I can’t believe they’d package them together with such obvious differences, you could always make 2 pairs of kids sized socks instead. :)

May 4th, 2007 at 10:39 am

Wel that sucks. I’d give them a call/email.

May 4th, 2007 at 1:18 pm

OK, I’m with everyone else, call/e-mail/smoke signals…whatever, I would see if you can have it replaced. That’s a bit odd.

10. deb Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Ditto to what everyone else has said. But now – be real cranky.

May 4th, 2007 at 4:11 pm

I’m so sorry this happened to you. You must be so frustrated. Definitely give the store a call/e-mail and see if they can fix this. Then let us know what happened!

May 4th, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Oh dear! Like everyone else – I hope you can contact the seller…

13. beth Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 9:24 pm

If you’re like me, you won’t like this advice. You could try to knit a few rows in each skein on both socks. It would be a serious pain in the kiester, but your socks would be a closer match. Whatever you do, good luck!

14. Carrie K Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

A kit? I’d check back with the store and see if they could find two skeins in the same dyelot. They probably didn’t even notice, but it does sound like it’s going to be a bit iffy.

15. Morag Says:
    May 6th, 2007 at 7:55 am

Had the same problem once with some skeins that WERE the same lot. (1) the slight difference as a skein was magnified, not minimized when knitted up, and (2) after a few washings and wearings I didn’t care anymore and could hardly tell the difference myself. (3)Why I didn’t return obvious error – couldn’t be bothered and put it in the ‘oh well, live and learn’ dept.

May 7th, 2007 at 3:21 am

Oh no! Hope they turn out ok.

17. meg Says:
    May 7th, 2007 at 9:37 am

ugh, that’s not so great. i would contact the seller,too.

18. Jennifer Says:
    May 7th, 2007 at 9:47 am

Uh-Oh! Two different dyelots in a kit? I wouldn’t have checked either.

19. Sydney Says:
    May 9th, 2007 at 8:56 pm

Oh, that’s not good. They should have checked dyelots in a kit. I agree with the others. I would contact the seller.

20. Robyn Says:
    May 11th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

What dye lot do you need? It looks like I will have some bee stripe leftover from my pal’s socks- I am on the gusset of the second sock and still on the 1st skein. I might not use much, or any, of my second skein. The dye lot is 5643.