Socknitting Curse

Quick reminder! Just a few hours left to leave a comment for a chance to win some lovely Socks That Rock. Oh, and I want to clarify something—it’s my first blogiversary. I used this domain for something else during the first 3-4 years. : )

I started new Project Spectrum socks with the Fortissima I bought earlier this year. I love the striping and colors. The gray, white and blues are very ‘wintery.’

Last week, I knit the first instep.

And this week another.

But no matter which heel I try (third one so far), they won’t fit. Augh! I need to rip them back and try more gusset increases. Not now though. They need to stay out of sight for a while.

Yesterday, the second-round pattern for Sock Madness was released, and since it uses sportweight, I thought I’d give it a go with another of the “Italian” sock yarns.*

Unfortunately, I messed up: I forgot to knit plain the alternate rounds. Oof! At that point, I dropped everything and just went to bed.

Today, it occurred to me that I might have cursed myself by frogging my Mad Cows and moving on to new projects immediately. In the past, when I’ve knit socks, I always finished them, always. If I didn’t like them or they didn’t fit, I gave them away.

I recalled the yarn Louise sent when I won her contest,* so I decided to knit raspberry and tweed Mad Cows. Good idea, right?

Uh oh, one teeny problem: the vintage Patons Kroy is much thinner and loosely plied than the current sportweight Kroy. The tweed yarn is more similar to the newer Kroy so I put it aside for another project. After stash-diving, I came up with a lone, blue skein of Henry’s Attic Kona Superwash sent by Jenifer (from Sock Wars).

We’ll see how this goes!

*Here are the yarns I’m talking about. I figured it would be easier to show them here again, rather than linking and making you go look at different posts. :) As usual, click for bigger.

cervinia.jpg   fromlouise.jpg

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Socknitting Curse”

March 23rd, 2007 at 6:43 pm

Good luck, after a rough start! I do like the socks you’re knitting now – great colors. I’m NOT going to imagine how those colors would taste as comingled flavors…

2. Kristen Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Yes, they do look like boysenberry sorbet and raspberry icee.

Have you tried short row heels? I recently fell in love with afterthought heels.

3. meg Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 12:45 am

wow, i love the color combos you ended up with. fab!

4. Renee Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 9:40 am

What a perfect yarn for Project Spectrum! I have to admit, I’m really ready to move into a new color group. The white and gray part are just a bit blah for me.

5. Susan Says:
    March 24th, 2007 at 10:17 am

The Cervina yarn looks great. Deep colors. I think you purchased it at Borealis, right? I’ve never done a toe-up sock so I can’t be certain how to make your heel fit better. Sounds like you have a high instep, perhaps you need to do some increasing before moving to the heel?

March 25th, 2007 at 11:38 am

I love your Project Spectrum socks. So crisp and icy.

7. Jenifer Says:
    March 25th, 2007 at 9:46 pm

Hey — I know I’m too late to get in on the action — but happy blogiversary to ya! :) I’ve been happily wearing those awesome limedragon socks you sent me last fall this winter … Happy spring to you!

8. hege Says:
    March 27th, 2007 at 11:33 am

It does remind me of boysenberry and blue icee! Yummy! Very pretty as socks, too! ;)

March 28th, 2007 at 10:45 am

Hey – I like the new mad cows – those are awesome colors. I like the intensity of the hues.

10. the Akamai Knitter » Cursed Socks! Says:
    April 2nd, 2007 at 4:32 pm

[...] in the same size handy so I was able to keep on knitting. Honestly, I think I’ve caught the Sock Curse. You all might want to take a big step [...]