Book Holders: Hold-and-Read

Part of the Ableware product line at Maddax, Inc., the small Hold-and-Read (.75 x 5.25 inches closed) is made with a “strong, transparent plastic” and is priced at $6.25.1 The product description also states that it “accommodates any thickness of paperback and, when folded, can be used as a bookmark.”

It isn’t a true hands-free holder because there is no base or stand to support the book. I decided to try this one because it was very small when folded, might work with my thicker paperbacks, and could work in conjunction with my Thai Book Rest.

The Hold-and-Read comes packaged in a plastic bag. It felt slippery when I opened the bag so I wiped the surface thoroughly with a Clorox wipe and let it dry. After that, there was no slipperiness. Also included was a paper insert with use instructions and contact information for the company.

It was easy to fit over a slim mystery I was currently reading. The plastic clips cover some of the text, so it’s good that they’re transparent. But the plastic distorts the text somewhat, and this can take a bit getting used to.

Click to open manual slideshow.

The plastic material was strong, but it also felt that I could break it if I exerted too much pressure. I tried the Hold-and-Read on a thicker (almost 400 pages) paperback, and it would not fit when I was at the beginning or end of the book. It also was only wide enough to fit mass paperbacks, not the larger trade sizes.

This was my least favorite of the holders I tried. It would be fine if you wanted something simple or inexpensive and tended to read only the thinner mass paperbacks. Although you can fold it into a bookmark or for compact storage, it isn’t versatile enough to hold larger-sized or thicker books. If this type of book holder is appealing, several more products are available for consideration.2

1At online stores, the price ranges from $6.25 to $11.25.

2Similar products include The Eazy Reader (www.eazyreader.com, defunct), Page Tamer, and Book Clip.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Book Holders: Hold-and-Read”

January 31st, 2007 at 9:06 am

All right then, next?

2. Amy Says:
    January 31st, 2007 at 9:24 am

Have you checked this site: http://kimbooktu.wordpress.com/

I learned about it from Miss T. http://mysteryhouse.typepad.com/

I haven’t studied it thoroughly, but it did lead me to a nifty gadget that acts as a bookshade when you’re reading in bright sun.

3. Kristi aka Fiber Fool Says:
    January 31st, 2007 at 10:12 am

Thank you for sharing your experiences with these things. I have been wondering about many of these myself.

4. hege Says:
    January 31st, 2007 at 10:37 am

I think cookbook holders are the best. They can hold hardcovers and paperbacks, and hold them at an angle which is comfortable for reading. They are usually inexpensive and easily available. If I am going to read and knit at the same time, then sitting at at a table is the only way.

January 31st, 2007 at 11:27 am

I have something similar in concept…all it does is hold the book open. It will work on any size book though. It looks like a bit of bent wire hanger and hangs over the top of the book. Have you seen those?

January 31st, 2007 at 11:31 am

I’m really enjoying your reviews! Next?? ;)

January 31st, 2007 at 5:36 pm

I found you from Chris… you all have such good books on your lists. I am going through mine, and I have decided that even though something LOOKS interesting, and even though I’ve read some 50 or 100 pages, if it is not KEEPING my interest, OUT it goes. From my stack, this has gotten me interested, but I’m only on, like, page 20. The Raven, fiction that takes place in Maine, by Peter Landesman. We’ll see!

January 2007