Supply & Demand > Time

Congratulations to Stariel! She was the 500th commenter here. I gave her the choice of a gift certificate to Amazon or The Loopy Ewe, and she chose the latter. Enjoy! Thank you very much to everyone who left comments on this milestone or the pretty dishcloth set. :)

This week, another pair of my handknit socks bit the dust. I was a bit bummed about it, because out of the 14 adult-size pairs* I knit last year, only 4 were for myself. Truthfully, I count only 3 pairs because I have yet to wear the Rock & Weave socks. (I still need to sew on the buttons, and they’re anklets, which aren’t ideal wear for Minnesota winters.) The 6th Sense Socks I made with my very first Socks that Rock are still going strong, and I’m thrilled with that.

I know handknit socks wear out eventually, but dang, do they have to go so quickly? Most of these socks had been worn this recent fall and winter only, which to me seems an awfully short lifespan. I have plenty of stash yarn to knit all the socks I could ever want. Time is a different story. I never seem to have enough (hence the ‘motto’ you see up there).

The Trekking XXL yarn I’m using for the Fluted Banister socks feels very thin. (Is this typical?) Although this yarn does contain nylon to help with longevity, I decided to switch to a US 0 (2mm) after finishing the legs. The resulting fabric is much denser and I hope it wears longer.

Another thing I’m considering: knitting a patch of the same slip-stitch reinforcement from traditional heel flaps on the sole near the toe. My socks typically wear out first at the ball of my foot, so that’d be a good place for a counter-measure. Perhaps the next time I knit socks with 100% merino, I’ll try this.

After the disappointment of losing another pair of socks, I decided to start a new pair since I only work on the FB while walking. Taking Jeanne’s comment about her experience with Sideways Socks into account, I knit a larger swatch incorporating the different sections of the socks. Already, I could see what she meant—the swatch s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out lengthwise. Ick.

Okay, since I was still feeling the urgency for new handknit socks as soon as possible, I started over. Before I knew it, I had knit a new cuff/leg!

newsocks1.jpg

Do you recognize the pattern I’m using now?

*The 14th pair was pre-blog, and can be seen in this gallery.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Supply & Demand > Time”

1. Dave Says:
    January 26th, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Wonderful mermaids, and that’s is an exceptionally wonderful choice of yarn to use with that pattern.

January 26th, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Unbelievably cool! The striping is great.

January 26th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

I love the way that pattern looks with striping yarn, but I’ve never knit it. I’ll try it someday.

4. Pink Dandelion Says:
    January 27th, 2007 at 12:04 am

What the striping’s doing on those socks is too cool!

My dad wears out his handknit socks like crazy. He loves them, so when he has a pair he won’t hardly wear anything else…

The tight twist 100% merinos (like STR)have seemed to wear the longest of the different yarns I’ve used, they’re worn the most too.

January 27th, 2007 at 12:19 pm

Do you wear slippers to protect your socks when you’re walking around the house? Carpet is hell on handknit socks. Also, I think the best thing you can do to help improve wear is to knit the socks at as tight a gauge as you can manage.

6. knittymama Says:
    January 27th, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Okay, I’m recogizing the pattern but can’t remember where it’s from:-)

7. Jennifer Says:
    January 27th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

That sock is gorgeous! I don’t have any thoughts on the handknit socks, but I think knitting as tight a gauge as you can seems like a good preventative measure.

8. Kristi aka Fiber Fool Says:
    January 28th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Wow, I haven’t worn out a handknit pair yet. I must not be too hard on socks though as it takes years to wear out store bought ones too. I have done the slip stitch on the ball of the foot of DH’s socks and that seems to be holding up quite well for him. I hope it helps you. It is indeed sad to say goodbye to the socks so early!

January 28th, 2007 at 3:39 pm

I don’t recognize the pattern at all, but I’ve only been knitting socks since last Fall. I do love the pattern tho’.

10. stariel Says:
    January 28th, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Great socks! I’ve been wanthing to knit that pattern. Thanks again for the gift certificate!

11. Debra Says:
    January 29th, 2007 at 9:56 am

I started a pair of Mermaid socks a while ago– love how incredibly simple the pattern is! They look great.