Knittin’ with Noro

Thank you everyone for your nice comments on the Zebra socks! I really appreciated them all! :)

I finished up my Silk Garden hat, and also knit a Lizard Ridge square for Moirae’s afghan project.

The hat turned out as I hoped, and fits quite well. I goofed when I said the pattern uses 80 stitches; that’s wrong. It’s 56 stitches for the hat. In the same post, I mentioned the strange gauge and needle sizes given in the pattern. My copy is old; newer copies may have the correct information. Just use the normal needle size you would use with worsted yarn and it should turn out fine (I used a US 7).

NK84tube.jpg

Nk84gathered.jpg

I grafted together the bias fabric into a tube. The stitches do meet at a slight angle, but you have to look closely to notice. I also ended up using some leftover, matching gray Patons CMW to gather and tie together the top closing, because the Silk Garden kept breaking. The picture on the right above shows the hat crown.

While the gathered top suits the rustic quality of the Silk Garden very well, this style isn’t to my taste. I’d rather knit a shorter/thinner cuff using the bias rib, and then pickup stitches and knit a typical crown.

NK84_SG82.jpg

And the Silk Garden? It’s too itchy for me, and I couldn’t tolerate it on my forehead for more than a few minutes. Rats! But I’ll find a good home for the hat.

LR_preblocked.jpg

Here’s a snapshot of my Lizard Ridge square before it was blocked. It’s a fun pattern, the short rows are easy to memorize and I love how the colors undulate. It’s almost psychedelic. It wasn’t until I laid the square flat to dry until I finally realized the wavy colors reminded me of Sand Art!

LR_k164.jpg

I was worried my square wouldn’t turn out well because the colors (#164) in the skein I had weren’t differing very much in the beginning. But the blue colors finally diverged and it turned out nicely. While blocking the square, I made a mistake—I looked at the printout and thought that I needed to pin out the scallops at the top and bottom edges, while leaving the vertical edges straight. Whoops, I can now see the difference online.

I have 12g of this colorway left and about 25g of the Silk Garden left. I am curious whether the Silk Garden could work with the Lizard Ridge pattern. Unless I can find another use, I may knit another square someday with these leftovers.

Specs

Pattern: “NK-84? Noro Knitting Patterns Booklet #9 Yarn: Noro Silk Garden, 82 (grays and mauve) Needles: Clover Bamboo US 7 circular Started: November 13, 2006 Completed: January 7, 2007

Pattern: “Lizard Ridge” by Laura Aylor, Knitty, Fall 2006 Size: about 10.5? square Yarn: Noro Kureyon, 164 (blue, blue-green, brown, and tan) Needles: Clover bamboo US 7 circular Started: January 7, 2007 Completed: January 11, 2007

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Knittin’ with Noro”

1. Kristi aka Fiber Fool Says:
    January 15th, 2007 at 10:44 am

I too have found silk garden to be a bit disappointing. I like the look of the hat though. It really shows off the coloration of silk garden well.

January 15th, 2007 at 11:54 am

Your square is gorgeous! It really DOES look like a sand painting. I’m not fond of Silk Garden, either – I can’t wear it on my neck or my forehead/ears.

3. Stephanie Says:
    January 15th, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Your hat is beautiful…what a bummer that it doesn’t wear well next to your skin. I hate when that happens!

Sand Art is a great way to describe your Lizard Ridge square. Purty colorway!

4. moirae Says:
    January 15th, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Beautiful square! I’ve often wondered whether or not I could do a Silk Garden Lizard Ridge Scarf or hat.

January 15th, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Your lizard ridge square turned out very nice! I’m tempted to knit one myself. Pity about the hat, but I agree that Silk Garden is not soft enough to be near sensitive skin.

6. hege Says:
    January 15th, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Your hat looks awesome, it’s too bad you can’t wear it. :( I love the colors in the Lizard Ridge square!

7. Pink Dandelion Says:
    January 15th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

I hate it when I find out I can’t wear something I made! Anymore I’m usually prepared for it, but it’s still dissapointing when something like a soft aplaca proves to be too itchy… the hat is lovely though!

LOL – I loved sand art when I was little…

8. Renee Says:
    January 15th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

That’s a cool hat! I’m sure someone will really enjoy it.

January 16th, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Such a drag that it’s itchy. I would have thought silk garden would be better than some of the other yarns (which I find terribly rough – though beautiful).

January 16th, 2007 at 11:30 pm

Wow! I love your hat – it looks incredible. So sorry to hear it is itchy. Can you improve matters by washing it?

11. Kelly Says:
    January 17th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I agree the hat is great. I am sure it will find a good home!

12. Jennifer Says:
    January 18th, 2007 at 8:46 am

What a lovely Lizard Ridge Square! I agree, it does look like sand art.

Too bad about the itchy hat. It is pretty though.

13. Ingrid Palm Says:
    January 19th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Hej Harriet. Wow…Christmas again. Thank´s so much for the package that arrived today. I absolutely love the felted basket, the wounderful blue yarn, the knitting magazine And the cableneedles are so cute. And the yarncutter. And all the candies and chockolate for me to eat while knitting. Hugs Ingrid

14. lorinda Says:
    January 19th, 2007 at 2:10 pm

The hat looks great and so does the Lizard Ridge square. And love the blog look too!