Worn Out

I have no energy today. It’s been a busy and tiring weekend. My dad had to go into the hospital; he had a heart attack (20-year history), but is OK now and will go home in a couple more days. There’s plenty that needs to be done before Thanksgiving, so I’m going to take the week off.

I decided earlier that I wanted to participate in the “From the Stacks Winter Challenge.” We select 5 books from TBR stacks/shelves and read/review them during the upcoming months. (The challenge ends January 30.)

• The Well of Lost Plots, by Jasper Fforde. I read the first two Thursday Next novels last year.
  • Iron Lake, by William Kent Krueger. It seemed past time I read a book by this local author.
  • The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd. Earlier this year, I read The Mermaid Chair, but wasn’t thrilled with it (mostly because I couldn’t bond with the main characters). I’m still intrigued by this book’s premise and hope it’s a better read.
  • Reluctant Voyagers, by Elisabeth Vonarburg. This is one of the oldest books on my TBR shelf.
  • Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis. I discovered and set aside this when I was a Teaching Assistant.

In other book news, the copy of Victorian Lace Today that Mom pre-ordered for me arrived. It’s a nice-sized hardcover with stunning photography. I see a couple patterns that I might use for the white mohair gifted from Lorinda.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Worn Out”

November 12th, 2006 at 6:46 pm

WOW. Lucky you to get Victorian Lace today book. I’m sorry about your Dad. Hope things will get better. Yes… taking the week off will do your mind good.

2. Amy Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:25 pm

Wow, Harriet, take care of yourself. That’s a lot going on.

And enjoy what sounds like a great choice of books!

3. nihal Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 4:18 am

sorry about your dad..

November 13th, 2006 at 11:53 am

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Spending a weekend in the hospital is no fun for anyone. The only book I’ve read on your list is The Secret Life of Bees. I like it okay. I was attracted by the cover! :)

November 13th, 2006 at 11:53 am

Sorry about your dad. It’s hard when your parents become unwell.

I read all the Thursday Next novels last year, the third was my least favorite – I hope you like it better.

Secret Life of Bees is about 200% better than The Mermaid Chair. I finished “Bees” feeling happy about everything and when I finished TMC, meh, too many unanswered questions and unappealing characters.

6. moirae Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 1:12 pm

I’m glad your Dad is going to be able to come home and celebrate Thanksgiving.

I have to say, the well of lost plots is not as good as it seems like it should be and I agree with you about the Secret Life of Bees.

7. beth Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 1:45 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he’ll be able to go home soon:)

8. Stephanie Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 6:41 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your father.

Sending positive thoughts your way, Stephanie

November 14th, 2006 at 6:34 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your dad – glad he’s doing ok.

I’ve read the first 2 books on your list and both were good, if that helps. :)

10. Pink Dandelion Says:
    November 17th, 2006 at 4:28 pm

So sorry about your dad :-( I hope he recovers quickly!

Enjoy your books! Looks like you’ve got some fun reading ahead of you!

11. Hidden Knitter Says:
    November 22nd, 2006 at 1:41 am

Sorry to hear about your dad. Will be thinking of you. Your Knit Mitt Kit Swap Partner

November 2006